Wednesday 28 December 2011

Celluloid Lives

Eight hours long in a room full of strangers with familiar faces... Eight hours of being subjected to a friendly atmosphere that grew more macabre by the minute. I sat on my chair, locked up with a whirlwind of self-conscious thoughts that grew stronger over time and more and more horrific. I know these people… I love these people... then why can’t I for the life of me talk to them?  

The family had gathered in a little village in the south of the country to celebrate the 94th birthday of the Madre familias. The woman had fought herself through two world wars, eight Popes and three Queens, and single-handedly raised a family of five children, all with nothing but her husband’s high income and the help of a battery of nannies and maids. Now she was being wheel-chaired into a room to be the birthday girl. We toasted her with a glass of pink champagne. Here's to you, Grandmother... love you!


After I had been sitting smiling in my chair, a diversion was created. The family was summoned into the next room to watch a computer presentation my uncle had made. He had transferred all the old celluloid films my parents had made back in the days when my older brother and I were still young & cute. Films I had not seen for the better part of 30 years. My uncle had put a score under it of music of the time: Sgt. Pepper, Jethro Tull, Van Morrison, Iron Butterfly and the likes. I watched from behind the back of my aunts who were dressed in black. 


And there it was… my youth in 8 mm, with In a gadda da vida blasting through the room. A psychedelic nightmare as well as a soft dream in faded colours. Two unreacheable kids jumping up & down on their beds without making a sound. A walk in a zoo, a giraffe in close up. There I was twirling on a merry-go-round, my face tense, pale, half happy. Laughing birthdays, people mouthing silent messages through the ages. Large cacti in our window sill... my grandfather, still alive, playing the piano in the room with the dark brown cork padded walls. I wore surrealistic swimming trunks while sitting alone in an inflatable orange swimming pool in the garden while all the neighbour kids were playing together in another pool two houses down the block. Different trunks while digging up my grandparents’ garden. All around, my hippy aunts swirled around in India dresses, the uncles wearing beards and straw hats, looking exactly like the cover of Pink Floyd’s Ummagumma. In the sun... in the sun. My brother tried to set up a folding garden chair, succeeding when the lights went low. The dog slept under the table. Mom had long red hair.

5 comments:

  1. How cool that your brother had the technology to capture the old videos. I threw away some VCR tapes of me humiliating myself and my bagpipe bandmates at the Mount Rushmore Amphitheater by trying to play a jig solo that I had never successfully played before. I thought a miracle might happen, but it did not. God, I was an asshole back then! Some years later it struck me that it my stunt was rude to my bandmates, more years after that that I considered how uncomfortable the audience must have felt. Aspergers. Anyway those tapes are gone for ever as are the old 8mm films I seem to remember seeing of my sister and I in a yard pool circa 1973. How odd. I think film was the only thing measured in metric units back then.

    Sounds like fun!

    ~Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe one should not keep these old embarrassing witnesses of our lost youth. who likes to see them after all? Did Granny? the past is the past, and we have grown out of it.

    How is your life feeling today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey, Dave and Angela. To begin with the last question: today I am all partied-out, wasted, bummed out, happy. Yes, last night was a complete blow-out with a bunch of fabulous friends in a bar and later at home. (These days, in the right company, I am a reformed man. I loved these people and enjoyed the hell out of them. With them, I am not the best conversationalist either, but it doesn't matter. Perhaps I'll blog about it tomorrow.)

    And today, after a few hours of sleep, another friend came by my house for many beers, talks, folk music and laughter. He left me tired and happy.

    No, I think we should definitely keep those films and pictures. It is just me who has trouble with seeing them, everyone else loves seeing the olden days. It is a matter of caring too much, feeling too much.

    Dave, I'm sure your bagpipe made everybody utterly happy that day. It had to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year's christmas, I was at my parents' place. And since I was there with my brother and my sister-in-law, everything was quite okay.
    Some bagpiping would have been much appreciated, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas sounds just like mine, except that I didn't show. May there be a plethora of bagpiping for you and yours in 2012.

    ReplyDelete