Friday 2 March 2012

A Rose by Another Name

They asked me why I wrote in English. I couldn’t say. One never knows… I like to put on this costume, perhaps that’s the reason. To turn into someone else. A pantomime villain with a villain moustache, cape and hollow laughter. Or a stoic peasant leaning on his spade, watching his leaping goats. Perhaps a damsel in distress, an exotic dancer, a negro delta blues picker, spy, whore, pirate, king… Ancient, burlesque, crazy, angry, clownish… or all at once. It’s dangerous. Therefore, it’s nice. However, at times, I don’t like the straight jacket it represents. Then I want to flap my arms and howl with frustrated rage. Get back to my own planet, if there is such a thing. Maybe I don’t like to write in a foreign language at all. Perhaps I shouldn’t. One gets tired.

2 comments:

  1. heheheh... the freedom of distance, the not-really-knowing that makes you able to say things that in the language you grew in would sound only corny... icould go one for hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. JW! Hi. Thanks for this comment. You would understand me, I think, seeing your own blog. We're both refugees in English (and more).

    ReplyDelete