Friday 7 October 2011

Four Is More

The refound love for analogue photography started earlier this year when I found a strange, little, cheap-ass camera made of the worst of plastics. It was equipped with a series of lenses, fit for a tarantula. A closer inspection revealed two things: it had four lenses and the word “sport” was printed on it. I’m not a big fan of active sports, but I reasoned that pressing the shutter and turning the loading wheel would not be excessive exercise. I loved the low techness of the thing. So I decided to give it a go. It was 80 cents; not a huge amount. I took it home and then forgot all about it.

Later this year, before going on vacation, I remembered my ‘sports camera’ and packed it. In a Chinese store in Spain, I bought a film and started making pics with it. Since then, I filled two more rolls, one in Paris and one around the house. I still haven’t made up my mind if I like the gimmicky side of the operation (it smacks of hipness!) and the purpose of four exposures on one photograph escapes me somewhat; although it should capture some sort of ‘action’ with it. But again: it is the lack of sophistication and rough & ready side (this time the strange colours are not due to old film, but because the camera is a piece of junk) that wins me over.





2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Lomos (or Lomoes?) used to be kind of hip some 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof, that's a relief. The half-time for hipness is about 5 years, so I think we're safe. Although we have to consider the boomerang effect, when stuff rises from the grave and becomes hip again. I've seen people breakdance with fluorescent shoe laces again. Not the Charleston though...

    ReplyDelete