Wednesday 18 July 2012

From the Notebook Vol. 6

On the camping. I overheard a conversation between the posh neighbours from across and the guy with the military moustache and his curly wife. They were talking about Monaco. First man said how utterly amazed he was how densely the city was built. He drove into Monaco and saw… wait for it!… he saw an underground roundabout, my oh my!

I didn’t gave it much thought, but now, ruminating those words, I remember I was there myself. I drove my bike through that long, dark, quite scary tunnel and over that underground roundabout into the city. But I couldn’t care less at the time. It didn’t look like anything out of the ordinary to me… as nothing ever did for many years, as I’m now realising. Telephones with which you can make photographs… so? Extrasolar planets… footballers making a million a week… a building 1, 2 or 5 kilometres high… people eating raw horse manure… snowfall on the Acropolis. Nothing.

Literally nothing can astonish me these days. Even if the Amazon would dry up, the IJsselmeer would turn red, people would learn the art of flight, the discovery of extra-terrestrial aliens, or a race of hairy, purple, three-nippled deep-sea people, parallel universes, a way of making gold from base metals, the Fountain of Life or a secret population of unicorns… a talking beetle… okay, maybe some things would strike and excite me. But not a lot!

9 comments:

  1. this really is a very beautiful picture...
    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merçi, J. I wish I could put them under a scanner them for sharper images though, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw that 'merci' is without cedille. Who knew!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. does it mean you lost your job?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does what mean I lost my job? The superfluous cedille? No. French punctuation isn't a part of it. But my job IS under threat though, in case you didn't know. My employer tried to fire me last year and told me I didn't had to come during the official procedure. But I won the procedure... and I couldn't be fired. So all this time I still 'have' my job, technically, but I can't go to the office to use the scanner. To bad. Do you know a job for me in Lisbon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mean you're getting paid to stay away from you pays you? No wonder zour self-estime is flying with the storm-swallows..
    Jobs here are scarcer everyday, bankrupcy over bankrupcy. You're better where you are

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is in fact the case: I get paid but do not have to show up or do any work. It's a weird situation. What do you mean with the storm-swallow analogy? That my self-esteem is sky high? Or up & down? Or just plain down? It IS quite down to be honest, but not much lower than before. However, this whole sacking business has done very little to improve my trust in people or in my own capabilities to find a (nice) spot for myself in this perverse, selfish, shallow world of ours. It's only people like you that are the counter weights.

    Too bad Lisbon is going through such rough phase. For you first of all, but also for me and my dream of living there one day. (Sorry for being so serious. We'll laugh from now on.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. bad weather means low pressure means bugs don't fly high means swallows fly low to catch them or so it was explained to me a few centuries ago.
    if you get paid to not work, couldn't you do it from any place at all? Or do you have some Not-workers-police?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes yes, that's what they do, the bugs and swallows (I'm a trained biologist)... thanks JW.

    My job is kind of complicated. I have to stay put as it were... wait till my boss makes a decision... what to do with me. If I leave and join you in magical Lisboa I risk being fired straight away. It's almost worth it. Hi JW! Thanks for reacting so faithfully.

    ReplyDelete